Assistant Professor 'Pop Music and Popular Culture'
full-time (38 hours per week) vacancy number W11-136
With support from a generous financial endowment by the 'Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen' (Sustainable Humanities Project), the Faculty of Humanities is able to employ a new generation of scholars. This position is one of them.
The candidate has demonstrated outstanding competence in the field of pop music and popular culture studies. Since pop music and popular culture are major sources of the creation of meaning in the present audiovisual culture, s/he works in a multidisciplinary perspective, exploring and mutually relating musical, textual, media and performative aspects in a social, cultural and political context.
S/he has a keen eye for the possibilities of collaboration with other (performing) arts and arts related institutions and academies in Amsterdam as well as a proactive approach in initiating such collaborations. The scope of his/her interest in pop music and popular culture extends well beyond the North-Atlantic world and music industries.
S/he has an outspoken affinity with one or more of the faculty's research foci: first of all Globalization, with a possible development in relation to Heritage and Cognition.
- teaching and developing teaching activities both as part of the programmes of Media Studies, and Arts, Religion and Culture Studies (Musicology) (55% of the tasks)
- (co-)supervising Bachelor's and Master's theses
- independently conducting research in the area mentioned, resulting in contributions to leading international publications (40% of the tasks)
- co-supervising PhD candidates
- making a contribution to raising contract and indirect funding
- administrative duties (5% of the tasks)
- relevant PhD degree
- experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international professional journals / book form
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities and / or training, evidenced by an educational portfolio
- experience with digital and audio-visual equipment; affinity with ICT in academic education
- team spirit and capable of functioning at all levels of more than one study programme
- willingness to develop in a multidisciplinary capacity in order to be able to participate in multiple areas of the Faculty's curriculum
- organisational experience and skills
- thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve fluency in Dutch within two years
The appointment will either be in the Department of Media Studies or in the Department of Art, Religion and Cultural Studies. In addition to regular teaching duties at one of the departments you will also be required to teach a minimum of 300 hours at the other department. Research will be caried out within the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) or the Institute of Culture and History (ICH).
The appointment will initially be for a period of no more than two years. Subject to satisfactory performance, a permanent appointment will be offered.
The gross monthly salary will range from €3,195 (scale 11) to €4,970 (scale 12) based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week).
Applications should be sent before 1 september 2011 to the Universiteit van Amsterdam, to the attention of the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Prof. J.F.T.M. van Dijck, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam. Please state the vacancy number in the upper left corner of the envelope. You may also submit your application by e-mail to email@example.com with the vacancy number in the subject field.
Applications should include:
- a curriculum vitae
- a research proposal (max. 500 words) related to the theme and to the research priority area 'Cultural Transformations and Globalisation' or 'Cultural Heritage and Identity' (ICH)
- a proposal for a course that potentially fits in the Faculty's curriculum (bachelor's programme, 6 EC, given in eight weeks)
The selection process will include a trial lecture. The interviews and trial lectures are scheduled for 10-14 October, 2011.