Call for papers: Musichildren'17
1st International Conference: "Music for and by Children: Perspectives from Children, Composers, Performers and Educators"
October 19th to 21st 2017 | University of Aveiro, Portugal
The University of Aveiro, the Polytechnic Institute, Porto and INET-md (Institute of Ethnomusicology - Centre for Music and Dance Studies) will host the 1st International Conference: "Music for and by Children: Perspectives from Children, Composers, Performers and Educators", from October 19th to 21st 2017, at the University of Aveiro, Portugal. The keynote-speakers will be Jackie Wiggins (Oakland University) and Dai Fujikura (Royal College of Music).
The main goal of the musichildren'17 conference is to explore aspects of music for children, and music that is created by children. It aims to stimulate discussion, develop ideas, and disseminate research in the fields of Music Composition, Performance and Music Education. This 3 day event will host paper presentations, performances, workshops and discussions from around the world.
Main conference themes
1. Children as performers and audience: A forum that explores and presents research of processes that lead to music performed by children and the processes involved in performing to children.
2. Composing for children: A forum that aims to explore and present research and reflections on factors that contribute to widening repertoire for children and young audiences.
3. Children's music: A forum that aims to develop new understandings of children's creativity, and of the particular ways they create their own music, alone or in groups, in formal, non-formal and informal contexts.
Proposals for presentations compatible with the conference theme(s) are invited in any one of the following formats:
• Paper presentations (up to 20 minutes);
• Pre-formed Panel presentations. Please submit abstracts with each named speaker and their institutional affiliation (up to 90 minutes);
• Lecture-recitals (up to 35 minutes). Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links;
• Workshops (up to 60 minutes); Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links;
• Concerts involving children (up to 45 minutes). Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links.
Please note that active participation of children is encouraged in all presentation formats. Children must always be accompanied by an adult.
Authors should submit abstracts of up to 500 words using the online submission system Easy Chair. We recommend that submissions include information on context, theoretical background, methodology and results/findings.
Presentations for the Pre-formed Panel consist of a set of integrated spoken papers relating to a theme. Abstracts submitted in this format should be up to 300 words each. The Chair must also submit an overview, a proposal of 200 words including a general description of the session that includes the purpose, motivation, and justification for the session.
All full submitted papers will be published on the PROA-UA platform (revista.ua.pt).
Abstracts must be received by 26th March 2017.
Presenters will be notified by 2nd May 2017.
Deadline for the full papers submission is 10th September 2017.
General enquiries about registration, travel, lodging should be sent to email@example.com
Organising committeeSara Carvalho, Clarissa Foletto and Ana Veloso--